Honolulu police officer accused of sexually assaulting teen arrested after hours-long manhunt

Honolulu police officer wanted for sex assault arrested after manhunt
(Image: Honolulu Police Department)
(Image: Honolulu Police Department)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Honolulu police officer accused of sexually assaulting a teen was arrested Wednesday afternoon, following an hours-long manhunt.

Officer Jessie Laconsay, 37, was arrested for first-degree sex assault about 1 p.m. in Mokuleia, the Honolulu Police Department said in a brief statement.

He was taken to Wahiawa General Hospital for injuries that were not life-threatening.

An all points bulletin was issued early Wednesday morning for Laconsay, an officer assigned to the Windward Oahu district.

Sources say that Laconsay was caught sexually assaulting the girl in Ewa Beach late Tuesday.

When he was confronted, he allegedly took off in his police-subsidized vehicle and was driving erratically, even driving into oncoming traffic. The white Dodge Charger he was believed to be driving was equipped with a police radio, lights and a siren.

Though HPD had been looking for Laconsay since early Wednesday, the department didn't issue a public alert about the officer until about noon, after repeated inquiries from Hawaii News Now.

They said Laconsay, who has been on the force for a decade, was not believed to be armed.

Neighbors who want to remain anonymous said they heard the commotion.

"Earlier during the day around noon we heard screaming and crying...and questioning, 'Why, why, why?" And I think I heard Jessie cry too," one neighbor said.

"I think that's the saddest part of it, seeing what it does to families when this kind of thing happens," another neighbor said.

Although police issued a news release around noon on Wednesday asking for the public's help in locating Laconsay because he was on the run, neighbors say Laconsay didn't leave in a hurry and he left after a police officer came to the home.

"The police officer left and Jessie was still in there. Then after that, he left...I assumed he went to work...and then after that a few minutes later all the police cars came," the neighbor said.

The police department responded to HNN's numerous requests for comment on this case with this statement:

"Criminal and administrative investigations have been opened. The officer has been placed on leave without pay and his police powers will be restricted. The investigation is continuing."

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.