HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Department of Parks & Rec need your help to make lei. They need 38-thousand to place on the graves of veterans this Memorial Day at Punchbowl. Jeanne Ishikawa is Deputy Director for the Department of Parks and Recreation.
Thirty-eight thousand flower lei are needed for placement on the graves of veterans at the "Punchbowl" National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific for Memorial Day. Each year thousands of O'ahu residents show their aloha by donating lei to honor fallen service members.
The lei are needed on Friday, May 27, 2016 and can be dropped off at designated O'ahu city parks, Honolulu Fire Department and federal fire stations, and at Kapolei Hale and the Frank F. Fasi Municipal Building next to Honolulu Hale. The fresh flower or ti leaf lei should measure 20 to 24 inches before tying.
The 67th Mayor's Memorial Day Ceremony will be held on Monday, May 30, 2016 at 8:30 a.m. at the "Punchbowl" National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Puowaina crater. For more information, please call the Department of Parks and Recreation at 768-3003.
SEW A LEI FOR MEMORIAL DAY
- Volunteers Wanted Friday May 27, 2016 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m
- Makua Alii Senior Center, Waipahu District Park, Kailua District Park
LEI NEEDED FOR MEMORIAL DAY CEREMONY
- Donations may be dropped off on Friday May 27, 2016 at Oahu City Parks & Fire Dept.
- Mayor's Memorial Day Ceremony
- Monday, May 30, at 8:30 a.m.
- Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery
- (808) 768-3003