Firefighters extinguish 2-alarm building fire in Kalihi - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Firefighters extinguish 2-alarm building fire in Kalihi

(Image: Hawaii News Now) (Image: Hawaii News Now)
KALIHI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A kinked cord from a power strip sparked a fire in Kalihi, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the two-alarm building fire at the AMCO Glass Tinting business on Homerule Street at about 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

The first unit out of nine fire companies with 34 personnel arrived on scene at 5:05 p.m. to find smoke and flames emanating from a second story unit of a two story building. All occupants had been evacuated from the building.

The fire was brought under control by 5:30 p.m. and fully extinguished by 5:34 p.m.

Officials said there was an electrical failure when the strip was plugged into the wall behind some stored materials. They said the cord was so badly kinked, the insulation was compromised, so there was nothing to prevent the electrical short which led to the fire.

Damage is estimated at about $70,000 to the glass tinting and design business.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly