Unattended food causes fire at McCully apartment - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Unattended food causes fire at McCully apartment

(Image: Hawaii News Now) (Image: Hawaii News Now)
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Overcooked food that was left unattended caused a fire at an apartment on Date Street Wednesday night, the Honolulu Fire Department said.

According to HFD, the two-alarm fire started around 9:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived to the 2200 block of Date Street to find heavy smoke coming from a ground floor unit of a two-story apartment building.

Fire crews managed to fully extinguish the blaze by 9:45 p.m. HFD said neighbors initially attempted to control the fire using garden hoses.

No one was in the unit at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported. The fire, however, has displaced one occupant who will be staying with friends and family.

The fire damage is estimated at $35,000.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly