EXCLUSIVE: Oahu man beaten, shot 5 times recounts harrowing ordeal

EXCLUSIVE: Oahu man describes his execution-style shooting
Ranier Ines
Ranier Ines
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

WAIANAE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The worst day of Kele Stout's life is also the day he found out just how strong he is.

On Sept. 16, Stout was wrapping up a job installing countertops when he got into an argument with his coworker.

Hours later, Stout would find himself fighting for his life. The 25-year-old had been robbed, beaten, tied up and shot five times.

It all started on an otherwise normal day: Stout was working a job with Ranier Ines, an ex-convict who had 36 prior arrests. They'd finished the job, and were leaving in the company van. Stout was driving.

That's when Ines allegedly pulled a gun on Stout, and accused him of disrespecting him and searching through his bag.

Stout was then ordered to drive to a home in Waianae where sources say his hands were tied behind his back and his face covered with a towel while Ines and another man beat him.

That second suspect then allegedly drove Stout somewhere else in Waianae and shot him in the face. While Stout begged for his life, the man shot him several more times.

"I felt disoriented at first and I remember I was kind of laying back and I was swallowing all this blood. I kind of rolled over so I stopped swallowing all the blood. So I was just spitting everything out, letting it just pool under me," Stout said.

Stout says he doesn't know what prompted the attack, but does know he is lucky to be alive.

"I was trying to stay quiet because every time I like coughed or something, I'd get another shot. I guess he didn't think I was dead so he would just pop another one."

In October, police arrested Ines for kidnapping and robbery. He's currently awaiting trial.

But Stout's shooter remains on the run.

Stout says Ines told the second suspect to "take care of him."

"I remember this person coming up to me with the gun to shoot me in the face and I remember just closing my eyes and just praying," he said.

Police have released a sketch of the gunman, but Stout says it isn't very accurate. The shooter is described as being in his 20s, with short black hair, brown eyes. The suspect is about 6 feet tall and weighs about 250 pounds.

Stout says the shooter appeared calm during the ordeal.

"The person was on the phone. I overheard him saying something about trying to burn the van with me in it," he said.

But then the gunman made a big mistake: He pulled over and got out of the car with the engine still running. That's when Stout managed to untie himself and drive to the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center.

"Somehow I just jumped into the driver's seat, locked the door, and took off," he said. "I thought it was over so I was just leaning on the steering wheel kind of going in and out, just honking on the horn until finally a security guard pulls in."

Stout had just enough time to tell the guard he'd been shot and spell his name before he blacked out.

He woke up a week later, following multiple surgeries from a busted jaw and partially broken neck.

He also woke up with a newfound perspective of his own strength.

"It's what happens after everything, after the trauma, how you think about it, how you perceive yourself," he said. "You just gotta be really strong-willed, pull through."

On his GoFundMe page, Stout says he's looking to make the most of his "second chance in life."

"I wouldn't wish for my experience to happen to anybody," he said. "And please, I'm not looking for your pity, just your support."

Ines' trial is scheduled for July.

Meanwhile, police are asking for the public's help in locating the shooter. Anyone with information can call police or CrimeStoppers at 955-8300.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.