MANOA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The search for the next University of Hawaii at Manoa chancellor is expected to begin in June as a 20-member committee starts work this month, UH announced on Monday.
"This position is critical, not only to the future of UH Manoa, but also to the university system and our entire state," UH President David Lassner said in a statement. "UH Manoa's next chancellor must provide strong leadership in the increasingly dynamic landscape for higher education, while continuing Manoa's tradition of excellence as one of the world's great research universities. The next chancellor must lead the campus forward with a spirit of collaboration and a commitment to excellence."
After the committee screens applicants and nominees in June, on-campus visits by the finalists will begin at the start of the fall 2016 semester, UH said. Lassner is also expected to submit a recommendation for appointment to the Board of Regents around this time.
The search committee includes faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, researchers and community members:
- David Karl, Professor and Director, Center for Microbial Oceanography: Research and Education, UH Manoa
- James Lee, Regent Emeritus and former Vice-Chair, UH Board of Regents
- Denise Antolini, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor, William S. Richardson School of Law
- Peter Arnade, Dean, College of Arts and Humanities
- Meda Chesney-Lind, Professor and Chair, Women’s Studies
- Robert Cooney, Professor, Department of Public Health
- David Ericson, Professor, College of Education
- Jerris R. Hedges, Professor and Dean, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Lori M. Ideta, Interim Vice Chancellor for Students
- Magdy Iskander, Professor and Director, Hawaii Center for Advanced Communications
- Velma Kameoka, Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
- Kepoo Keliipaakaua, Graduate Student
- Loic Le Marchand, Professor, University of Hawaii Cancer Center
- Laura Lyons, Professor and Chair, Department of English
- Melody Kapilialoha MacKenzie, Professor of Law, William S. Richardson School of Law
- Noreen Mokuau, Dean and Professor, Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work
- Diane Nakashima, Educational Specialist, Catalog Office
- Vassilis Syrmos, Vice President for Research and Innovation, UH System
- Richard Wacker, President and CEO, American Savings Bank
- Kelly Zakimi, President, Associated Students of the University of Hawaii at Manoa