Fire erupts from Kalihi apartment - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire erupts from Kalihi apartment

(Image: Hawaii News Now) (Image: Hawaii News Now)
KALIHI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

The Honolulu Fire Department is investigating after a mattress caught on fire in a Kalihi apartment on Thursday.

Firefighters got to the scene around 3:15 p.m. to find smoking coming out of a window of a two-story apartment building on Waterhouse Street. It took 30 firefighters to douse the blaze in the second-story unit, HFD said.

The fire, which was contained to a single bedroom, was fully extinguished by 3:30 p.m.

The owner of the building said her brother-in-law lit a cigarette and tossed the lighter onto a mattress, which then caught on fire.

No injuries were reported, but the American Red Cross is assisting.

The fire caused approximately $25,000 worth of damages to the structure and its contents.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly