From Hawaii Red Cross
March is Red Cross Month, the perfect time for everyone to take part in the Red Cross mission of saving lives and giving hope to those in need.
When disaster strikes, the Red Cross provides not only food, clothing, and shelter but crisis counseling for those who have lost a loved one or everything they owned. We are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and respond to disasters in Hawaii every 4 days.
This is a great time for people to get involved with the Red Cross
- Get your business and home prepared for disasters
- Take a Red Cross Class to learn a lifesaving skill
Ready Rating online preparedness tool for Businesses Schools, and other Organizations
Businesses and organizations can face a lot of different emergencies that could disrupt their operations – from natural disasters like a hurricanes and floods, to man-made disasters like fires and explosions.
According to FEMA, 40% of businesses will not reopen after major disaster; another 25% will fail w/n one year. If small business, you have a 90% chance of failing w/n 2 years after disaster.
Free, online program helps businesses, schools & organizations assess their readiness, offers customized feedback, and allows you to develop your own preparedness plan.
2 kinds of assessments – 25 or 60 questions, depending on whether starting from scratch or already have some plans. Topics include hazard vulnerability, continuity of operations, and employee readiness.
Next Step Report provides advice on how to improve your emergency response plan by pointing you to specific resources that include videos, forms, templates. Also helps prioritize efforts so not too overwhelming. After implementing suggested changes, can then track progress.
Resource Center includes:
- Emergency checklist for small businesses
- Videos on how to protect important documents
- How handle threatening phone calls, hostage, and kidnapping situations
- Videos on how to communicate during a crisis
- Dealing with Release of Hazardous Materials
Go to www.readyrating.org
Red Cross is Papa John's "Charity of the Month" all month long:
- Use the code ‘ALOHA’ when ordering pizza online and $1 from each order will go to the Hawaii Red Cross.
- Purchase an Aloha Carry Out Card for $10 and $7 will go to the Hawaii Red Cross. The Aloha Carry Out Card allows you to buy-one- get-one-free pizza, all year long.
Visit our 'Hawaii Red Cross' Facebook Page to participate in weekly Preparedness quizzes throughout this month.
In partnership with HMSA, we will be giving away prize packs that include things like a first aid kit, water bottle, towel, backpack and other fun things to those who participate in answering our weekly quiz questions!