Unattended cigarette causes balcony fire in Lahaina - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Unattended cigarette causes balcony fire in Lahaina

Maui Maui
LAHAINA, MAUI (HawaiiNewsNow) -

An unattended cigarette is to blame for a balcony fire at a home in Lahaina Sunday evening, the Maui Fire Department said.

According to MFD, the fire happened around 6 p.m. at a two-story home on Lahilahi Place. The occupants who were home at the time smelled smoke and discovered the decking on the balcony on fire.  They extinguished the flames with a garden hose before firefighters arrived, MFD said.

Firefighters arrived at around 6:10 p.m.

Fire officials said just before the flames were discovered, another occupant was seen smoking in the area where the fire started but had left the home.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Damages were estimated at $200.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly