KAIMUKI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A fire forced a family of 10 to evacuate their two-story duplex home in Kaimuki early Monday, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.
More than 30 firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire that broke out around 5:20 a.m. from the home on Keanu Street. By 6 a.m., firefighters fully extinguished the flames, which were contained to an upstairs bedroom in the home.
Seven females, three males and two pets managed to escape the scene uninjured. The American Red Cross is also responding.
An initial investigation by HFD has determined that an unattended lit cigarette is to blame for the fire. A damage estimate has yet to be determined.