NANAKULI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - One month after losing everything in a house fire, an Oahu family has a new place to call home, and they say it's thanks to the generosity of people they've never met.
A huge, fast-moving fire destroyed the Kanakaole's Wahiawa home on Nov 3. They say it took less than 15 minutes for the blaze to destroy everything.
Since then, Kathy and Lambert Kanakaole, along with their adult daughter, have been staying in a hotel room at the Best Western.
But now they have a new place to call home. On Thursday, the family signed the lease on a three-bedroom home in Nanakuli.
"I'm just really, really happy and thankful to everyone that has helped us. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have gotten this, and we wouldn't have gotten funds (from GoFundMe donations) to help us stay at the hotel," said Kathy Kanakaole.
Lambert Kanakaole has diabetes and is confined to a wheelchair, so the family needed a ground-floor house. Kathy says the woman who owns the Nanakuli home saw their story on the news and moved out within a day to let them move in.