Fire causes $250K in damage to Hilo home - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire causes $250K in damage to Hilo home

HILO, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A fire Thursday night caused $250,000 in damage to a three-bedroom home in Hilo, according to Big Island fire officials.

Around 9:10 p.m., more than 10 firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire on the 300 block of Ainako Avenue. When they arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames emanating from two bedroom windows.

Fire officials said a 32-year-old woman and two children, ages 7 and 9, were able to escape unharmed.

The blaze may have been caused by an unattended citronella candle that was burning to prevent mosquitoes, fire officials said.

The fire remains under investigation.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly