HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The annual Honolulu City Lights Public Worker's Electric Light Parade will be held at 6 p.m. on Saturday in Chinatown and Downtown.
The parade, held on King Street, begins at approximately 6 p.m., steps off at River Street, proceeds past Honolulu Hale, and ends at Kawaiahao Street. Decorated vehicles will park at the end of the parade for public viewing until 8:15 p.m.
Parking in the affected area
Motorists bound for events in Chinatown and Downtown Honolulu on December 5 are advised to arrive well before 5 p.m. and to plan for traffic delays. Parking will be accessible at:
- Mark’s Garage
- Walmart Parking Lot
- Chinatown Gateway
- Smith-Beretania parking garage
- Hale Pauahi parking garage
Traffic detours in Chinatown and Downtown
Motorists are advised that street closures and detours for the parade and opening night ceremony will affect traffic in the Chinatown and Downtown areas on the evening of Saturday, December 5.
Traffic flow will be detoured or modified on the following streets:
- Makai-bound traffic on Maunakea Street from Beretania Street will be detoured east-bound to Pauahi Street.
- Bethel Street will be converted into a two-way street from Hotel Street to the Macy’s parking lot driveway.
- Traffic on Nuuanu Avenue and Alakea Street will be allowed to cross King Street at selected break points in the parade.
- Bishop Street will be converted into a two-way street between Beretania Street and the Executive Centre parking lot driveway.
Street closures on December 5, 2015
Traffic lanes and streets will be closed on Saturday, December 5 as follows:
11:00 a.m.: Left lane on King Street from Punchbowl Street to Kawaiahao Street: Lane closure will be in effect until equipment set up is completed.
1:30 p.m.: Crowd-control barricades will be placed on both sides of King Street from Richards to Punchbowl streets. Trucks will be unloading barricades in lanes nearest the sidewalk.
3:00 p.m.: Crowd-control barricades will be placed on both sides of King Street from Punchbowl to South streets. Trucks will be unloading barricades in lanes nearest the sidewalk.
3:30 p.m.: Curb lanes at Aala Park on North King Street between Beretania and River streets, and Iwilei Road from Kuwili Street to King Street, will be closed for parade vehicle staging.
3:30 p.m.: Curb lanes on Iwilei Road from Kuwili Street to King Street will be closed for parade vehicle staging.
4:30 p.m.: Punchbowl Street closed between Beretania and King Streets. Makai-bound traffic will be detoured to Beretania Street.
4:30 p.m.: Three mauka lanes on South King Street closed from Alapai Street to Ward Avenue. Two lanes of both sides of South Street closed from Kapiolani Boulevard to Queen Street.
5:00 p.m.: North King Street closed from Liliha/Dillingham intersection to River Street. Eastbound traffic on King Street will be detoured to Beretania Street.
5:00 p.m.: King Street between Punchbowl and Alapai/South Streets will be closed. Eastbound traffic on King Street will be detoured makai to Punchbowl Street. The King Street bustop near the corner of Punchbowl Street will be relocated to Punchbowl Street.
5:30 p.m.: King Street will close progressively along the parade route and reopen progressively after the parade, except for the section of King Street from Punchbowl to the Alapai/South/King Street intersection, which will remain closed until 10 p.m. for street sweeping and crowd control barricade removal.
- River Street will be closed at Pauahi Street.
- Bishop Street will be two-way between Beretania Street and the Executive Center parking lot driveway.
- Makai-bound traffic on Maunakea Street will be detoured to Pauahi Street.
- Nuuanu Avenue will be open with intermittent traffic flow.
- Bethel Street will become two-way from Hotel Street and Macy’s parking lot entrance.
- Richards Street mauka of King Street will be closed at Beretania Street.
- Kekaulike, Maunakea, and Smith streets makai of King Street will be closed at Nimitz Highway.
- Bethel Street will be closed at Merchant Street.
- Mililani Street will be closed at Queen Street.
- Alakea Street will be open with intermittent traffic flow allowed.
Street parking prohibitions on December 5, 2015
No parking from 1:00 p.m. to 12 midnight on Saturday, December 5, 2015. Illegally parked cars will be cited and towed.
- Punchbowl Street, both sides from Beretania Street to King Street
- Punchbowl Street, Ewa side from King Street to Queen Street
- King Street, both sides from River Street to Ward Avenue
No Parking from 1:00 pm to 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 5, 2015. Illegally parked cars will be cited and towed.
- Beretania Street, both sides from River Street to North King Street
- River Street, both sides from North Beretania Street to Hotel Street
- Bethel Street, both sides from King Street to Pauahi Street.
TheBus routes affected by the parade are detoured. Please visit www.thebus.org or call 848-5555 for route information.