Wildlife officials reviewing protocols following string of Hawai - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Wildlife officials reviewing protocols following string of Hawaii shark attacks

File image File image
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

State wildlife officials on Thursday announced they are conducting a "top-to-bottom" review of their shark incident protocols following the third shark attack off Oahu in only three weeks.

In the most recent encounter, a 10-year-old boy was attacked while bodyboarding about 30 feet from the Makaha shoreline. The Hawaii resident suffered a bite to his right leg and is recovering at the Queen's Medical Center.

"Of course our thoughts and prayers go out to this boy and his family for his full recovery.  Our data base shows that he is one of the youngest victims of an apparent shark bite in recent years," said Dr. Bruce Anderson, DLNR Division of Aquatic Resources (DAR) Administrator.

The DLNR says it has launched an internal review of shark incident protocols with the goal of improving communication between emergency responders, law enforcement, the media and beachgoers. 

“Our top priority is the safety of the vast number of people who visit Hawaii’s beaches and recreate in the ocean,” said Anderson.

Earlier this month, 25-year-old Colin Cook of Kawailoa, lost his left leg and some of the fingers on his left hand in a shark attack off a surf spot on Oahu's north shore called Leftovers. And just a week later, 44-year-old Anthony Lee was seriously injured in a shark attack off Lanikai Beach.

In all, there have been seven incidents involving sharks statewide this year.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly