North Shore shark attack survivor begins road to recovery - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

North Shore shark attack survivor begins road to recovery

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

The victim who lost his leg to a tiger shark has started his road to recovery. 

On Tuesday, video showed North Shore shark attack survivor Colin Cook as he continues his recovery at the Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu.

The 25-year-old managed to walk the length of a hallway and back for the first time since the attack on October 9.

A specialized walker accommodates his bandaged hand, which was badly injured when Cook fought off the 10 to 12 foot tiger shark at the surf spot known as Leftovers.

The shark severed his leg just above the knee. 

Chris Webster, Cook's cousin, was there by his side as he learned to walk again. 

"To see him four days into this, already up walking around...can't hardly open his eyes because he's on so much medication, but his heart is just telling him to walk, just walk," Webster said. "After I got him into bed, I walked away and just burst into tears I was so proud of him."

Cook's family says he will probably be transferred from Queen's to a rehab facility some time this week. 

The family is also raising money for medical bills and for a prosthetic leg. The surfboard shaper says he will one day surf again. 

Nearly 600 people have already donated more than $40,000 through his GoFundMe page

This was the fifth shark attack in Hawaii so far this year, but the first off Oahu since 2013.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly