HECO: No health hazard following reported gas leak at Waiau Powe - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HECO: No health hazard following reported gas leak at Waiau Power Plant

PEARL CITY, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Firefighters responded to reports on Thursday of a potentially toxic gas release at the Waiau Power Plant, but officials later determined there was no immediate safety or health hazard.

A Hawaiian Electric spokesman says a crew inside the plant smelled the gas around 9 p.m. and called 911 just to be safe. 

Initial reports said that it could have been hydrogen sulfide, a colorless toxic gas that smells like rotten eggs, but an investigation indicated there were no safety or health hazards.

HECO will be at the plant on Friday to assess the situation and continue monitoring the air quality throughout the day.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly