Brenton Wong, Area Manager Manpower US joins Howard to discuss if this is the right time to transition to a new job.
With unemployment at an almost record low in Hawaii, is now the right time to transition to a new job? These are the 5 things you should consider before making that choice.
"Be careful of what wall you put your ladder against, you may not like what you see when you get to the top."
Whether you are transitioning to a new job from not being employed or from being employed there are things to consider prior to leaving you current employment situation. Having a career plan to transition to new employment is essential to being happy in your new job.
What makes a good career plan?
1. Define the path you want to follow to in your career - Whether you want to pursue a different job, a promotion, or a new career entirely, the only way to get there is to be purposeful about your goal and work toward it. Once you know your desired end state, you can direct all of your efforts toward reaching that goal.
2. Attributes of a plan
a. you can understand it - you know exactly what you need to do step by step to reach your goal.
b. It is actionable - each milestone is laid out. Is your first step training? Networking?
c. It is a living document - you cannot anticipate everything going perfectly.
Expect change and challenges. Every time there is a hurdle, review your plan to see if it still makes sense.
The 5 things are:
1. What type of work do you want to do? What are you good at? What would like to learn more about?
2. Why do you want to do that type of work? Does the new job fit who you are? Is this type of work fulfilling? Money or Passion
3. How will this affect your personal finances? What do you need to make to cover your expenses?
4. What type of employment will work with your schedule? When does the job start, end, hours you need to put in, any appointments you scheduled that would conflict with hours you need to work.
5. Plan to exit or promotion?
Answering these questions will help you be successful when you get the job you are targeting. The worse case scenario is you get a job just to get a job and are dissatisfied with the "wall you put your ladder against"
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112