Sprinkler puts out kitchen fire at Waipahu apartment, floods uni - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Sprinkler puts out kitchen fire at Waipahu apartment, floods units

WAIPAHU, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Unattended cooking caused a building fire at the Plantation Town Apartments in Waipahu late Tuesday night, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.

Upon arrival at the 12-story apartment on Kauolu Place at around 9:40 p.m., firefighters found that the kitchen fire in the fourth-floor unit was already extinguished by a sprinkler. But the activated sprinkler flooded 10 additional units, fire officials said.

After shutting off the sprinkler, HFD crews then assisted with cleanup.

Emergency Medical Services personnel treated one occupant who was injured while evacuating the building, but no other injuries were reported. The American Red Cross was dispatched to assist affected families.

The fire damage has been estimated at $5,000 to the building and $2,000 to its contents. The water damage has not been evaluated.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly