Community Connection: Hawaii Animal Rescue Foundation - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Community Connection: Hawaii Animal Rescue Foundation

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Hawaii Animal Rescue Foundation (HARF) is a 501(c)(3) for-purpose, charitable organization that serves the County of Maui and has been a no-kill animal center since its origination.  Their mission is to promote the humane treatment of animals, prevent cruelty and provide education to enhance the human-animal bond.

HARF provides numerous animal-welfare services to the residents of Hawaii, including pet adoptions, re-homing programs for off island relocation services, foster care programs for animals with special needs as well as volunteer opportunities.

HARF partners with other animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable animals to us, helping to lessen the homeless pet overpopulation that plagues our island.  70% percent of the animals we receive are owner surrenders and rescues, the remaining 30% are transferred from other organizations filled to capacity.  Over the past three years H.A.R.F. successfully rescued and re-homed over 2,000 dogs and 10 horses.

The animals at HARF are supported by the generosity of individuals, corporations and foundations. HARF receives no County, State or Federal funding and is a privately owned organization.

HARF is currently 100% volunteer run and relies on foster families to care for and nurture their adoptable animals while awaiting their new homes.  HARF is in the process of acquiring land to build a full-service animal center on the island of Maui.  Their plans include an adoption and education center, spay/neuter surgery center, care/rescue/adoption services for large breed animals (cows, horses, etc.), boarding kennels and a community dog park. 

Copyright 2015.  Hawaii News Now.  All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly