As Tropical Storm Hilda tracks closer to the Hawaiian islands, officials are starting to announce closures in anticipation of the storm. We will continue to post the latest announcements below as they come in to our newsroom.
If you have any tips or information regarding preparations or closures ahead of Hilda, please send them to our newsroom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park:
- In anticipation of the heavy rain and wind forecast with the arrival of Hilda, all back country areas in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park will be closed as of 5 p.m. on Wed., Aug. 12 until it is safe to reopen them.
- No back country permits will be issued until park staff reassess the storm's impact.
- In addition, Mauna Loa Road from Kipukapuaulu to the Mauna Loa Lookout, and Namakanipaio Campgrounds and A-frame cabins, will close as of 5 p.m. Tuesday. The visitor centers, restrooms, lava tube, front-country trails, steam vents, and other popular features, will remain open.
- Park staff will continue to monitor the storm and assess conditions in the park. The public will be kept informed via news releases, social media, and the park website.
- Due to expected weather concerns related to Tropical Storm Hilda, the Moloka'i Community Plan Advisory Committee (CPAC) meetings will be rescheduled.