Judge OKs $9M for Honolulu military hospital lawsuit - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Judge OKs $9M for Honolulu military hospital lawsuit

Tripler Army Medical Center Tripler Army Medical Center

By JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER
Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) - A federal judge has approved a $9 million settlement in a lawsuit over a Hawaii military hospital birth that left the child with cerebral palsy.

Attorneys agreed to the same amount last year but the Department of Justice rejected it.

This agreement will be a cash payment, instead of previous terms of $5 million cash and $4 million over the child's life.

The lawsuit says Noah Whitney was born in 2010 at Tripler Army Medical Center with catastrophic brain injury because of medical negligence.

But lawyers for the Virginia family continue to prepare for trial in case the federal government doesn't approve it again.

One of the attorneys, Michael Livingston, said Monday in court they are using next month's trial date as leverage to help ensure the settlement is approved.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly