HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - - Children need 9-11 hours of sleep per night.
- Some children begin to feel anxious about going to school, which can lead to them having trouble sleeping.
- Too little sleep can cause mood swings, problems learning in school, and even behavioral problems (including hyperactivity).
- As children head back to school, start getting them back into the habit of sleeping and waking at the same time, with daily nighttime routines that will help them know when it's time to sleep.
- Switch off electronics at least an hour or two before bedtime to unwind.
- Does too much screen time affect falling asleep and/or quality of sleep?
- Avoid caffeine starting in the late afternoon. Avoid eating a heavy meal 1-2 hours before bed.
- Encourage exercise and healthy eating habits—in addition to keeping fit and healthy, they help promote good sleep.
- Sleep problems that kids may face – sleep apnea, night terrors, depression/anxiety leading to insomnia, etc. Will discuss how parents can identify problems and what they can do to help.