Faulty battery blamed for 3-alarm building fire in Kalihi - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Faulty battery blamed for 3-alarm building fire in Kalihi

Image source: Kelly Atkinson Image source: Kelly Atkinson
KALIHI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Firefighters responded to a three-alarm building fire in Kalihi Monday afternoon, July 20.

The fire was first reported shortly after 1:20 p.m. on Rose Street near Meyers Street in Kalihi.

The first HFD unit arrived at 1:37 p.m. to find smoke pouring from a two-story warehouse. The fire was located on the second floor and was brought under control at 2:12 p.m. and fully extinguished by 2:42 p.m. 

HFD personnel evacuated two elderly residents when their neighboring home was inundated by smoke.  One occupant of the warehouse was treated and transported by EMS for smoke inhalation.  No other injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was later determined to be a malfunctioning lithium battery located in a second floor storage room. The fire damage was estimated to be $230,000 to the structure and $100,000 to its contents.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly