Big Island standoff suspect in court - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Big Island standoff suspect in court

Macdon D. Thromman Macdon D. Thromman
HILO, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Chilling new details in the case of a Kohala man accused of shooting his girlfriend and a police officer before barricading himself inside
his home Monday.
The 21-hour standoff that followed ended with Macdon Thromman being arrested and charged with 31 counts -- ranging from attempted murder
to kidnapping.
His initial court appearance Friday had to be rescheduled, because officials say Thromman insisted he didn't speak or understand English
and required an interpreter -- but court documents indicate the 37-year-old from Micronesia had a lot to say on the night of the alleged incident.
According to the probable cause statement filed in court Friday, Thromman and his girlfriend of over a decade got into a fight inside
their Kohala home Monday night.
Statements from the girlfriend indicate he punched her in the face several times, and at some point went outside to his vehicle and returned
with a hunting rifle -- that's when she says Thromman started threatening to kill her and their six-year-old daughter and six-month-old son.
The 32-year-old girlfriend says she made several attempts to leave the house and finally managed to hand-off the baby to her father when
her parents arrived, but she says Thromman refused to let her leave when her dad tried to step in and stop him.
Thromman reportedly said, "'You like me shoot you too? I'll shoot you and the baby. You like me f---ing kill you?'"

According to court documents, "Thromman pointed the gun at her and shot her in the area of her right outer thigh. After he shot victim>, Thromman told to sit there. He told her he was going to shoot her in the back of the head. Thromman yelled at that she was going to die that night."
Officials say when two police officers arrived on the scene, they instructed Thromman to put the rifle down but he refused and fired two
shots at them -- hitting 43-year-old Officer Ray Fukada in the arm before barricading himself in the house.

The Hawai'i Police Department Special Response Team was dispatched in an armored vehicle and over the course of several hours, Thromman
reportedly fired six rounds through the house in the direction of officers before they managed to disarm him with pepper spray.
Court documents indicate the day after the standoff ended, Hawai'i Police returned to the home with a search warrant and collected a loaded rifle as evidence.  Police say the weapon was not registered within the state and Thromman had no permits to acquire a firearm.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly