Hiker, 72, airlifted after suffering allergic reaction from bee stings
LAHAINA, MAUI (HawaiiNewsNow) -
A 72-year-old hiker had to be airlifted from the Ukumehame Valley after suffering an allergic reaction from multiple bee stings, the Maui Fire Department said.
Fire officials said the victim was hiking with another man on Monday afternoon when they encountered the bees, but the victim did not have his EpiPen with him.
Firefighters reached the man at around 5:30 p.m., where he was located roughly a mile into the valley. Paramedics were already treating him at the time, but the man was unable to walk out on his own, so a fire department helicopter airlifted him out of the area.
Paramedics transported the man to the Maui Memorial Medical Center in stable condition.