HAWAII KAI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Five people, including two children, escaped injury Wednesday evening when a fire broke out at their Hawaii Kai home.
The Honolulu Fire Department said the blaze broke out at about 6:19 p.m. at a Lunalilo Home Road home. When firefighters arrived, they found at least 30 percent of the home involved in flames.
Witnesses reported hearing sparking and small explosions, but were more concerned that the flames would spread to neighboring residences.
"We were in the kitchen cooking dinner and we thought it was the oven and all this black smoke started pouring into our backyard here," said neighbor Ali Rigg. "And this whole house was up in flames I mean you know 50, 60 feet high."
"I saw the smoke from Lunalilo (Home Road) and I thought it was too much for a barbecue, and I got around the corner and saw that it was blazing black smoke billowing out," said another neighbor, Pat Shanks. He was driving home at the time.
Most of the damage to the home was in the garage, where neighbors believe the fire started. The flames also caused minor damage to a home next door.
This is the second fire at this residence. A fire in a bedroom in March 2004 claimed the life of a 40-year-old woman and her two young daughters in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.
Wednesday's fire caused $226,000 in damages, but fire officials have not reported the cause.