HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - In the recently conducted Hawaii News Now/Star Advertiser poll, three questions were asked in the context of UH Manoa athletics.
The first was "How do you feel about the University of Hawaii's emphasis on inter-collegiate athletics?"
- There is too much emphasis on athletics................24%
- There is not enough emphasis on athletics ............18%
- There is about the right amount of emphasis..........50%
- Don't know/Refused..............9%
UH Manoa Athletics Director Ben Jay responded, "we are all part of the same mission and duty to educate these students, to provide wthm with life skills, to provide them with a great education and experience here so they can be productive when they graduate from UH and go on in life."
The second question asked "Even though some UH Sports teams make a profit; it is usually not enough to pay for the costs of the entire athletics department, which includes many teams with little to no ability to make money. Which of these options would you support:"
- The Athletic department should be responsible for paying its own way, without taking from student tuition or taxpayer funds, even if that means some sports teams may be eliminated...53%
- The University should find other sources of money to cover the deficits ...31%
- The legislature should use taxpayer money to cover UH sports deficits...9%
- Don't Know/Refused...4%
Jay said the university already carries a heavy burden."Only a quarter of our support really is generated from the institution. We have to go out and generate, externally, the rest of those funds to help support our operations" The athletic budget this year is 32 million dollars. 24 million of that is raised independently.
The last question deals with Aloha stadium, "What do you think is the best solution for a stadium on O'ahu?"
- The State should renovate the existing Aloha Stadium...40%
- The University of Hawai‘i should be responsible building its own stadium ...28%
- The State should build a new stadium the same size/larger than Aloha Stadium...16%
- The State should build a new, smaller stadium....9%
- Don't support any of the choices... 4%
- Don't Know/Refused...3%