Woman says no word from authorities after finding mutilated shar - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Woman says no word from authorities after finding mutilated shark

MAKUA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - An Oahu woman was swimming at a popular leeward Oahu beach when she found the mutilated remains of a ten to 12-foot shark at the bottom of the ocean. And even though its several weeks since it happened, she still hasn't heard from authorities.

Leilani Tresize was actually swimming at Makua Beach in hopes of photographing dolphins when she made the find.

"He wasn't a small shark," said Tresize. "And then I saw the cut mark on the back, like someone had sliced through him."

The shark's stomach had been cut open and its jaws were missing. Tresize also says she found the shark's fin, some 30 feet away from the shark itself.

"The fin was cut off," she said. "More than likely they drowned the shark."

There are laws in Hawaii that ban the practice of shark finning, after thousands of sharks were killed for shark's fin soup, which has been considered a delicacy. But the law also bans the possession of any part of the shark, according to former state senator Clayton Hee, who authored the bill.

"It demonstrates an ignorance of the law, and unfortunately it demonstrates that who ever did it got away with it," said Hee.

While there is no state law that explicitly bans the killing of a shark, Hee argues that a person would have to be in possession of a shark in order to kill it.

"It doesn't make sense that you kill it in the first place because it's unlawful to do so, and then leave it there," Hee said. "It's very unfortunate."

Some believe the shark's jaws may have been taken for its teeth, which is used to make jewelry or weapons. But they also say sharks are revered in Hawaiian culture, and that a shark wouldn't be killed this way.

"This shark should have been killed, if used for that, with proper protocol," said Oriana Kalama, founder and CEO of the group Ocean Defender. "if we're going to honor our traditions and our values, there needs to be proper protocol."

"A Hawaiian would have taken the whole shark, not mutilated,taken the jaw and then left it there," said Tresize. "It was just so disrespectful."

Tresize says she called 911 and was referred to the nearest lifeguards at Makaha. She showed them the photos she took of the shark's remains, but so far has not heard from any authorities.

Copyright 2015 HawaiiNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly