Lawsuits filed over Waikiki beach replenishment - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Lawsuits filed over Waikiki beach replenishment

File image of Waikiki sand replenishment project File image of Waikiki sand replenishment project
By JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER
Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) - Two men are suing the state and blaming their debilitating injuries on a 2012 Waikiki beach widening project.

Lawsuits filed Monday say the state was negligent in the multimillion dollar sand replenishment project. The lawsuits say the project created unnaturally shallow conditions and sandbars in areas that were previously deep.

Esmond Chung's lawsuit says he suffered permanent neck and back injuries when he fell while surfing in an area that had always been deep enough.

A lawsuit by Marc Tablit says he became a quadriplegic after diving off a booze cruise and hitting his head on the ocean floor. He says was able to safely dive there before the replenishment project.

A spokeswoman says the state attorney general's office hasn't yet been served with the lawsuits.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly