HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Polls across the state will be open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday for the general election. According to the Office of Elections, anyone in line at 6 p.m. will be allowed to vote.
The Office of Elections would also like to remind Big Island voters that all polls will be open on Election Day. Voters assigned to Pahoa Community Center will still have the option to vote at Hawaiian Paradise Park Community Center. The state Department of Education facilities that were closed due to the Puna lava flow will still serve as polling places. Those schools include Keonepoko Elementary School and Pahoa High & Intermediate School.
There have been some reports of voter confusion in Pahoa. A few residents have complained that they don't know where to vote, Despite the confusion in Pahoa, elections spokesman Rex Quidilla says that, so far there are no major problems to report statewide.
The Office of Elections would like to remind voters of the following:
- Save time by voting during non-peak hours. In the morning from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or in the afternoon from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. are optimal times to vote.
- Know your polling place. Contact your County Clerk's office, visit www.hawaii.gov/elections or use the Find Your Polling Place tool.
- Be prepared to provide proof of identification. Forms of acceptable I.D. include a valid photo I.D., copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or other government issued document that shows your name and address.
- Sample ballots are available to view at www.hawaii.gov/elections. Simply enter your name and date of birth and your polling place information and sample ballot will be provided.
- Vote-by-mail voters have until 6 p.m. on Election Day to submit their voted ballot to any polling place within their county. A voted ballot postmarked on Election Day, but not received by the Clerk's office by 6 p.m. will not be accepted.
Keep checking HawaiiNewsNow.com for election updates throughout the day and tune in to Sunrise and our evening broadcasts for live team coverage of the local and national races.
To find your polling place, click here.