BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii Island officials are providing help and support to those affected by Tropical Storm Iselle. Community Assistance Centers will be open Tuesday from noon to 4 p.m. at community centers in:
- Hawaiian Shores
- Leilani Estates
- Kalani Retreat Center
These centers will offer water, ice, and other supplies while they last. Bring a container for ice or water as bags or bottles may not be available. Those who are able to get to a retail store to get supplies are encourage to do so and leave these supplies for those who cannot get to a store.
- The Pahoa Pool is open for showers and phone charging will open 5:30 a.m Tuesday. The pool itself will reopen for swimming during regular hours.
- The Red Cross shelter at the Pahoa Community Center will remain open Monday night for those displaced by the storm, as well as for cell phone charging. No pets are allowed in the shelter.
- HELCO crews are working in Puna subdivisions and energizing lines as possible. AT&T reports that limited cellular service has been restored.
- Uniformed Hawaii National Guard personnel are patrolling the affected areas in official National Guard vehicles, along with police and Community Emergency Response Teams to ensure public safety.
The following County parks are still closed due to storm damage:
- Hilo Trap & Skeet Range
- Isaac Hale Beach Park
- Ahalanui Park
- Kolekole Beach Park.
- All other County parks are open, but exercise caution as storm debris may still be in the area.