Hawaii Department of Transportation announces new repavement pro - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Hawaii Department of Transportation announces new repavement projects

Posted: Updated:
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

As the Department of Transportation nears the finish line on the H-1 rehab project, it is gearing up for two more.

Wednesday, it announced that beginning Monday, June 23 portions of the Kalanianaole Highway and Kamehameha Highway will be repaved.

The Kalanianaole project will begin at West Hind drive and stretch east to Hanauma Bay road.  Work will be done from approximately 9am to 3pm, Monday through Friday.  21 lane miles of roadway will be repaved.  Other improvements will including road marking installations, guardrail repairs, landscaping and irrigation improvements.

The project cost 14.6 million dollars.  It is 80% federally funded.  The remaining 20% comes from state funds.

Work will begin at the westernmost section of roadway at West Hind drive, and focus first on eastbound lanes.  Once they are completed, work will double back on the westbound lanes.

The project is scheduled for completion in February of 2016.

The Kamehameha repaving project will stretch from Ka Uka Boulevard north to Waihau Street.  Work will begin at 8:30am and end at 3pm, Monday through Friday.   Improvements will include repaving, guardrail safety, traffic signal safety modifications, pedestrian sign improvements, utility modifications and new signage.

The project will cost 13.3 million dollars.  It is expected to be complete in October 2016.

The Department of Transportation encourages people to log on to their website at hidot.hawaii.gov.  Users can sign up for email blasts to receive steady updates on both projects.

Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.