Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Cox Communications
CHESAPEAKE, Va., June 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Twenty-eight outstanding area students have been named 2014 Virginia's Future Leaders Scholarship winners by the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association (VCTA), the Donald A. Perry Foundation and Cox Communications Virginia.
- Kelly Baumgarten, Old Dominion University
- Alan Booth, undecided
- Jessica Carolino, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Emily Craven, Christopher Newport University
- Yihnew Eshetu, University of Virginia
- D'Angelo Evans, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Chelsea Gorniewicz, Old Dominion University
- Kristina Hipolito, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Nikia James, University of Richmond
- Marik-Anthony Jolley, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Chandler Mitchell, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Breauna Mitchell, Old Dominion University
- Sarah O'Cain, James Madison University
- Amanda Hornsby, University of Virginia, Wise
- Miriam Perry, Regent University
- Allison Ritzel, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Katherine Ritzel, Radford University
- John Ruane, Culinary Institute of Virginia
- Tiana Satchell, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Derrick Stevens, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Amanda Berube, University of Virginia
- Brian Pisarcik, Christopher Newport University
- Abigail Power, University of Virginia
- Sarah Solomon, James Madison University
- Meredith Zettlemoyer, University of Virginia
- Brian Eads, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Matthew Rowe, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Samantha Alexander, George Mason University
These scholarships are among 77 awarded to Virginia students this year by cable systems across the Commonwealth.
"The Virginia cable industry is honored and excited to award so many scholarships to outstanding students across the Commonwealth," Ray LaMura, VCTA President, said, "We congratulate all the winners for their achievements and commend their hard work, dedication to higher learning and leadership contributions to their communities."
"Cox is dedicated to supporting youth in Virginia," said Gary McCollum, senior vice president and general manager for Cox Communications Virginia. "We're especially focused on equipping young people with the tools they need to succeed academically and as productive citizens. The Virginia's Future Leaders Scholarship program helps financially so these deserving students can continue their education; we're proud to be a part of that."
Now in its 14th year, the Virginia's Future Leaders Scholarship program is a statewide education initiative of the Virginia cable industry. To date, more than $1,000,000 in scholarships have been awarded to outstanding Virginia students attending Virginia colleges and universities.
"I am delighted the Virginia Cable Industry is generously helping Virginia students further their education by awarding $100,000 in scholarships," said Secretary of Education, Anne Holton, "these scholarships will assist in relieving some of the financial burden on students and their families as they pursue higher education, which is increasingly critical to success in the job market."
The VCTA and its member companies encourage area students to visit the VCTA website www.vcta.com for more information about the Virginia's Future Leaders Scholarship program.
About the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association
The Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association (VCTA), with offices in Richmond, Virginia is the trade association for the cable telecommunications industry in Virginia. The Association was founded in 1966. Its mission is to positively promote the cable television, high-speed data and telecommunications services of member companies to the public, the business community and state officials. More information about the VCTA at www.vcta.com
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet and telephone services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable TV company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and new media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For eight years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity nine times, including the last eight years. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.