Friday, August 29 2014 1:50 PM EDT2014-08-29 17:50:07 GMT
The ex-wife of an Arizona shooting range instructor accidentally killed by a 9-year-old girl learning to use an Uzi said Friday that her family plans to write the child a letter to comfort her.More >>
The accidental killing of a firing range instructor by a 9-year-old girl learning to shoot an Uzi unleashed a storm of criticism and anger, with much of it aimed at her parents.More >>
EWA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
One person was injured in a three-alarm condominium fire in
Ewa Beach Friday afternoon.
The fire was first reported just before 1:30 p.m. in a
two-story unit on Kuilioloa Place. Emergency responders say the victim is a
26-year-old man who injured his arm while breaking a window to help people get
According to the Red Cross, 15 adults and 4 children living
in 9 units have been displaced at the Kulana Village condominiums on the
intersection of Fort Weaver and Pohakupuna Roads.
"I came out and saw a big fire. It started first with a
small fire and then not even five minutes later it went into this huge
fire," described eyewitness Marilou Pintor.
William March lives in one of the neighboring buildings and
says he ran from unit to unit warning people to get out.
"I went up to the door and kicked it in. It was
breaking jalousies to get in.
We ran in and the first thing we did was make sure nobody
was home. We seen the fire already coming through the windows so we tried to
use the fire extinguisher. It got too much so I told the guys you know let's
get out. It was insane how fast it spread. It was unreal," March
Two buildings were impacted, though only one has severe fire
"This was a major fire. It turned out to be
three-alarms. With that exposure on the downwind side to the building that had
four units, it made things complicated. It was a major deal for us," said
Battalion Chief James Perkins.
According to fire officials, 11 companies responded with a
total of 45 firefighters and the first team was on the scene within five
Firefighters were able to knock out the flames in a little
over half an hour, but it took them several more hours to complete overhaul, in
which they go into the walls and make sure every ember is out and that the fire
is cold and dark.
Fire officials say they utilized their CAFS, or Compressed
air foam system, to put out the flames. They say the foam cools fire down
faster and uses less water so there's less water damage, which also helps
preserve the scene for arson investigators.
The cause of the fire is still being determined, but several
neighbors reported hearing it was started by an unattended oven.
It's unclear whether the buildings had working smoke alarms.
Residents and neighbors reported to officials that it wasn't the sound of a
smoke detector that alerted them, but the sound of people shouting and
Fire officials say it's imperative every home have a smoke
alarm and a fire escape plan.
"When emergencies arise they need to get out and report
to a place that they can account for each other so it makes our job easier
because we don't have to go into the structures looking for people who may not
be there," said Battalion Chief Perkins.
The Red Cross is assisting all families who've been
displaced and have nowhere else to stay.