Starting tomorrow, some Oahu residents will have a chance to get some relief from high utility bills.
The Honolulu Community Action Program will accept applications for its "Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program" (LIHEAP) from tomorrow through June 30th.
People who qualify can receive a credit on their gas or electric bill. Another program will help those who have had their power shutoff or are about to lose service.
Applicants must bring the following documents and information with them to apply:
- PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (For all household members 18 yrs & older)
- CURRENT ORIGINAL GASCO GAS BILL OR HECO ELECTRIC BILL
If utility subscriber is different from applicant and does not live in the household, they must also sign a form and show ID.
- PROOF OF RESIDENCE
A document, other than the gas/electric bill, showing that the applicant lives at the address listed on the bill. Ex: phone bill, doctor's bill.
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS Verification for all household members
- PROOF OF AGE For household members 60+ and children 0-5 yrs. Ex. photo I.D. or birth certificate.
- PROOF OF INCOME (For all household members)
- PROOF OF DISABILITY (for all household members)
- PROOF OF ALIEN STATUS Passport, Birth Certificate, etc.
Interested applicants may call any of the HCAP district service centers for more information on dates, times, and program requirements: