Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
INRIX primes holiday travelers with local traffic insights
KIRKLAND, Wash., May 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX®, a leading provider of traffic information, Big Data analytics and driver services, released its annual Memorial Day weekend traffic forecast estimating a significant increase in New York City traffic this Memorial Day weekend compared to last year, particularly on Friday, May 23. The upswing in congestion is consistent with data from the INRIX Traffic Scorecard Annual Report released in March showing traffic congestion up 5 percent in 2013 with drivers wasting 53 hours in gridlock – 3 more hours than 2012.
The combination of an improving economy and a desire to do more than just a 'staycation' after one of the toughest winters of recent memory is expected to translate into more traffic over the holiday weekend. However, New Yorkers can avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic with INRIX's help. Based on analysis of current traffic trends, economic trends and historical traffic patterns from previous holidays, INRIX recommends the following to drivers looking to avoid the worst delays heading out of town:
- Depart between 10-11 a.m. on Friday. INRIX's analysis predicts the ideal window to get out of town will be right after morning rush hour. This could be drivers' golden opportunity to escape the worst of the holiday traffic before the late afternoon rush ensues, which will start earlier than usual on Friday.
- Alternatively, leave by 2 p.m. or after 7 p.m. to avoid the worst delays. Rush hour on Friday afternoon is expected to be its worst between 3-5 p.m. when the average trip will take over 30 percent longer than normal. If drivers cannot leave right after the morning rush hour, ideally between 10-11 a.m., they should depart before 2 p.m. to avoid the worst traffic. Otherwise, traffic heading out of New York City should be relatively clear by 7 p.m.
- Download the INRIX XD™ Traffic mobile app. INRIX's app provides real-time traffic information covering arterials; city streets and other secondary roads that will help New Yorkers avoid congestion with minimal delay.
Route Insights for Nearby Holiday Destinations
Additionally, INRIX examined traffic flow to popular destinations within driving distance from New York City. INRIX recommends leaving before 2 p.m. if traveling to these areas on Friday, May 23.
Long Island & the Hamptons, NY
- Peak Travel Time: 4-5 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes to Hampton Bays via I-495. Drivers are expected to experience at least an hour and 40 minutes of delay at this time.
New Haven, CT (for drivers headed to Cape Cod and Boston, MA)
- Peak Travel Time: 5-6 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes via I-95. Drivers are expected to experience at least 3 hours and 15 minutes of delay at this time.
Jersey Shore, NJ
- Peak Travel Time: 4-5 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes via Garden State Parkway. Drivers are expected to experience at least 40 minutes of delay due to traffic at this time.
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services reach more than 150 million drivers to help them save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering more than 4 million miles of road in 37 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.