Your purse is not the place where you think you might find some items that could poison your pet.
On Thursday's FOX19 Morning News, Diana Dornbusch Cron, a veterinarian at Glenway Animal Hospital in Green Township, shared some advice.
Here are five items commonly found in your purse that are bad for your pet:
• Xylitol, found in chewing gum and other artificially-sweetened products, can lead to a drop in blood sugar and eventually affects the liver and kidneys.
• Raisins might be the perfect compact snack but they can be very toxic to pets and ingestion leads to kidney failure.
• Inhalers contain albuterol and when a pet gets a hold of the inhaler, they can accidentally be exposed to massive amount of the drug which can lead to death.
• Human medications like NSAIDs including Advil, Aleve, and Motrin, acetaminophen including Tylenol, and antidepressants can cause a number of symptoms at varying degrees of severity.
• Hand sanitizer contains a large amount of alcohol which can cause a severe drop in blood sugar, neurological depression, coma and even death.
Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112