Port Clinton bomb hoax distraction for nearby robbery - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Port Clinton bomb hoax distraction for nearby robbery

Several law enforcement agencies responded to the alleged bomb threat at Port Clinton High School Tuesday morning. Several law enforcement agencies responded to the alleged bomb threat at Port Clinton High School Tuesday morning.
Surveillance footage shows the man walk into Mickey's Smoke Shop with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk. Surveillance footage shows the man walk into Mickey's Smoke Shop with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk.
PORT CLINTON, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Port Clinton police say last week's investigation into the bomb threat at the town's high school took an interesting turn when investigators discovered the threat was actually related to another crime. The department says the threat was connected to a robbery at Mickey's Smoke Shop just over a mile from the school.

Surveillance video from the store shows a man in a dark sweatshirt walk inside with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk. This was all happening while several law enforcement agencies were responding to a bomb threat at Port Clinton High School.

"When the robbery call came in, us cops only think the worst. One of the first things that I thought - and the chief thought - was that this was a diversion," explained Sgt. Corbin Carpenter.

After investigating, Port Clinton police arrested a suspect for the robbery and bomb threat. He has not been formally charged, but police say he did allude to making the phony bomb threat as a way to draw attention away from the smoke shop.

"I've been a police officer in Port Clinton for 16 years, and this is the first time I've seen anyone go to such an extreme, as to calling a bomb threat to a school just to do a robbery," said Carpenter.

The suspect stole $576 and a couple cartons of cigarettes.

Police say he will be charged with aggravated robbery, inducing panic, making a false report and disrupting public service.

Police are not releasing the man's name at this time. They are currently investigating to determine if anyone else was involved. If you have any information that could help police, contact Det. Sgt. Corbin Carpenter at 419-734-3121.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • News ExtrasMore>>

  • CONNECT WITH US

    CONNECT WITH US

    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & videoMore >>
    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & videoMore >>
  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • N. Korea unmoved as world unites against its nuke ambitions

    N. Korea unmoved as world unites against its nuke ambitions

    Friday, December 15 2017 5:35 PM EST2017-12-15 22:35:55 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 11:20 PM EST2017-12-17 04:20:13 GMT
    North Korea's friends and enemies joined forces Friday in opposing its determination to be recognized as a nuclear weapons state and calling on leader Kim Jong Un to negotiate the denuclearization of the Korean...More >>
    North Korea's friends and enemies joined forces Friday in opposing its determination to be recognized as a nuclear weapons state and calling on leader Kim Jong Un to negotiate the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.More >>
  • Forecast: Still a chance of spotty showers

    Forecast: Still a chance of spotty showers

    Saturday, December 16 2017 10:32 PM EST2017-12-17 03:32:44 GMT
    Image: Hawaii News NowImage: Hawaii News Now

    The threat of heavy showers and thunderstorms is diminishing as a low pressure system over the islands weakens and drifts to the west. 

    More >>

    The threat of heavy showers and thunderstorms is diminishing as a low pressure system over the islands weakens and drifts to the west. 

    More >>
  • Brennecke’s Beach closed to swimming due to shark sighting

    Brennecke’s Beach closed to swimming due to shark sighting

    Saturday, December 16 2017 9:45 PM EST2017-12-17 02:45:50 GMT
    (Image: Hawaii News Now/File)(Image: Hawaii News Now/File)
    POIPU, Hawaii – Ocean Safety officials have closed Brennecke’s Beach to swimming until further notice due to a shark sighting. Lifeguards report that a roughly three-foot Reef shark was sighted near the shoreline at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Per standard protocol, Ocean Safety officials have posted signs to warn beach goers of the shark sighting and are advising no swimming until further notice. Lifeguards will reassess the area on Sunday morning to...More >>
    POIPU, Hawaii – Ocean Safety officials have closed Brennecke’s Beach to swimming until further notice due to a shark sighting. Lifeguards report that a roughly three-foot Reef shark was sighted near the shoreline at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Per standard protocol, Ocean Safety officials have posted signs to warn beach goers of the shark sighting and are advising no swimming until further notice. Lifeguards will reassess the area on Sunday morning to...More >>
Powered by Frankly