Update: Two men could be responsible for more than 30 storage un - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Update: Two men could be responsible for more than 30 storage unit break-ins

Posted: Updated:
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Update (Thursday): Honolulu Police believe two men are responsible for dozens of burglaries at storage units all over Oahu.

No arrests have been made but police sources say, they do know who they are looking for.

The storage locker crimes started late last year but really picked up recently.  There were almost 30 in March and already five in the first few days of April. Hardest hit, customers of Public Storage on Kapiolani Boulevard.

Original Story posted Wednesday:

Police have opened an investigation after thieves broke into 18 storage units at the Public Storage facility on Kapiolani Boulevard.

According to investigators, the break-ins occurred sometime Sunday night or early Monday morning, when the storage facility is closed.

Allen Mozo spent Wednesday moving what was left of his possessions out of the Public Storage facility. He got a call Monday morning, telling him that his unit had been burglarized.

"Business equipment. I had cameras taken, I had inheritance items. My father gave me a couple of watches. Those were taken. Those are irreplaceable," said Mozo.

The burglars got in, despite security measure that include surveillance cameras that monitor the entrance to the building, which is open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.

"Once you're inside the door, you punch in a code to access your elevators, and each of those codes are per individual customer," said Mozo. "Then you go up to your particular floor to your locker, and there's the padlock on there," along with a movement sensor on the locker.

The part of the door with the padlock was no match for the thieves, who were able to break it off and push the doors up. 

It's not known exactly how the burglars got into the building, but Mozo heard that they may have made their way through some doors near the entrance that lead to a stairwell. Once they were in, they apparently didn't have to rush.

"They had a lot of time to go through that many units," said Mozo. "And even within my own unit, I had a safe, and they had time to break open the safe."

Honolulu Police said they were also investigating another series of break-ins at the same Public Storage facility. Five units were broken into last month.

Contractors were at the building today, taking away damaged doors to be repaired.

Investigators said they have some leads, but so far, no arrests have been made. Employees directed questions to the Public Storage home office in California, which declined comment.

Mozo has had enough. "I've been here for two years, and a hui hou. I'm not safe here any more."

Follow Ben Gutierrez:    

Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.