New York Police Department Lieutenant John Grimpel has confirmed with by phone with KLTV that they are investigating the death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.
The initial reports came out Sunday morning that the 46-year-old actor was found dead in his Manhattan apartment. Social media erupted with quotes, pictures and video clips of the Academy Award-winning actors career. He had roles in Patch Adams, Twister, Moneyball, Mission Impossible 3, Almost Famous and The Big Lebowski.
Lieutenant Grimpel also tells KLTV that the body was found unconscious in the bathroom, with a needle in the left arm. He also tells us that heroin was found near the body.
Julie Bolcer with the New York City Medical Examiner's Office told KLTV that it is too early in their investigation to confirm anything about the death at this time.
Hoffman has had a history with drug addiction, including a rehab visit as recent as 2013. The actor has been nominated for four Oscars and three Tonys. He leaves behind three children.
The Raycom News Network contributed to this story.Click here for that story.
Wednesday, March 5 2014 8:29 AM EST2014-03-05 13:29:40 GMT
Several Smith County fire crews have contained an early morning house fire in Overton. Authorities tell us the fire began around 5:00 Wednesday morning in the 400 block of E. South Street. Arp, OvertonMore >>
Several Smith County fire crews have contained an early morning house fire in Overton.More >>
Wednesday, March 5 2014 12:20 AM EST2014-03-05 05:20:20 GMT
Final results are in for several high-profile elections.In the primary race for State House, District 6 Republican Matt Schaefer defeated challenger Skip Ogle. In the Smith County Judge Republican primary,More >>
Final results are in for several important Smith County elections.More >>
Tuesday, March 4 2014 7:41 PM EST2014-03-05 00:41:37 GMT
A gas leak has forced the polling place at Gary Elementary to close and the building is being evacuated, according to Smith County election officials. This affects voters in Precincts 36, 70 and 80. ThoseMore >>
A gas leak has forced the polling place at Gary Elementary to close.More >>