Fire guts Palolo house - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire guts Palolo house

Posted: Updated:
PALOLO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A house fire in Palolo left two residents without a home on New Year's Eve. The fire was accidentally started by a stove burner being left on.

It was reported at approximately 9:40pm.

"Someone said 'oh my gosh the house is on fire'...So I called 9-1-1" said Todd Grimes, who lives in a house on the same property.

The Honolulu Fire Department was able to quickly get the fire under control, but the speed at which it went up gutted the structure.

"It went pretty fast, it was only about five minutes and most of the house was engulfed". That's how Austin Alderton described the scene. He was celebrating New Year's Eve with his family across the street.

The EMS worker from Michigan who is visiting relatives, sprung into action.

"We started spraying water on the adjacent house to make sure it didn't catch, we got a car out" he said.

Grimes also did the best he could to help.

"I grabbed my hose but I quickly realized it was way too short to do anything. That neighbor had his hose shooting on the fire but it wasn't doing anything".

Two other people who had been staying in the house are off island. Neighbors say they are in Japan.

 

Follow Chris Tanaka:    

Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.