EWA BEACH, Hawaii (AP) - Emergency responders have treated eight elementary schoolchildren and two adults who complained of feeling sick from the smell of pesticides in Ewa Beach.
Emergency Medical Services spokeswoman Shayne Enright says those treated Monday morning were at Pohakea Elementary and Kaimiloa Elementary.
State Department of Education spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz says an 11-year-old girl was taken to a hospital as a procedural measure because her parents couldn't immediately be reached. Dela Cruz says the girl and those who were treated at the scene are fine.
Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig says a nearby resident had sprayed a pesticide called malathion. Seelig says the concentration was likely too strong. Firefighters diluted it with water and put foam on the yard to suppress the vapors.