Family thankful for dog who saved them from house fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

UPDATE

Family thankful for dog who saved them from house fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A Nashville family has a lot to be thankful for, but they're especially thankful for their dog, Lucky, who saved them from a fire in their home.

"Lucky saved the day for us. If wasn't for Lucky, I don't think we'd be here," said resident John Crump.

The 3-year-old German Shepherd's bark startled the family just after 3:30 a.m.

"Lucky was raising a whole lot of Cain outside, so we got up and saw that the furnace was on fire," Crump said.

Crump scrambled to put the fire out at his Nashville home on Nassau Street, but the smoke and the fire were just too much, so the family called 911.

"We've raised him from a puppy; he's a descendant of Rin Tin Tin," said Crump.

The family remains in high spirits, thankful for their dog's quick actions.

"I just thank him, he helped save my life," Allen Crump said.

As for the Crumps' home, there is some damage, but it's not a total loss. They also plan to give Lucky a special treat for saving their family and their home.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.