Crews resume Mokuleia search for missing Farrington student - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Crews resume Mokuleia search for missing Farrington student

MOKULEIA,OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -


UPDATE at 6:30 a.m. on MONDAY:
Crews with the Honolulu Fire Department have resumed their search for a Farrington High School student-athlete who went missing on Satuday near the Mokuleia Polo Fields when his kayak capsized in rough waters. 

Dayne Ortiz was last seen at about 5 p.m. Authorities said he was in a kayak about a hundred yards out, trying to pull a fishing line farther offshore.

We will have the latest on this developing story tonight on Hawaii News Now. 

Search and rescue crews found a piece of the swim shorts that a Kalihi teenager was wearing when he disappeared after his kayak capsized in rough waters off Oahu's North Shore.

The remnant of the shorts was found late Sunday afternoon near the area where 18-year-old Dayne Ortiz was last seen at about 5 p.m. Saturday. Family members confirmed that the clothing remnant belonged to Ortiz.

Ortiz was last seen wearing black swim shorts. Ortiz has a full-sleeve tribal tattoo on his left arm and a tattoo of "Ortiz" on his chest.

A Honolulu Fire Department helicopter was joined in the air by another helicopter and a C-130 from the U.S. Coast Guard. In the water, four JetSkis, divers, and boats -- including the Coast Guard cutter Ahi and a vessel from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources -- looked for the missing teen.

"We initially started out with our aircraft, one JetSki and a rescue boat in the area to search the immediate area and also areas where he possibly may have drifted to by the currents," said Honolulu Fire Capt. Carlton Yamada.

Ortiz was on an outing with his family when he disappeared. Authorities said he was in a kayak about a hundred yards out, trying to pull a fishing line farther offshore.

The kayak capsized in rough surf that may have kept his family from seeing what was happening.

"The family who was watching him on shore didn't notice him trying to get back onto the kayak and noticed that the kayak was actually drifting back to the shore," said Yamada.

Officials said Ortiz's older brother then swam out to try to help him, but by the time he got there, Ortiz was gone.

An area resident said there are surges at the beach that are dangerous.

"The currents rip on these inside channels," said Cliff Casem. "And sometimes they can be unforgiving."

Divers also had their search interrupted by unwanted visitors.

"Right after we started our initial early morning search, we ran across two tiger sharks," said Yamada.

Divers went back in after it was determined that the sharks had left.

Ortiz is a senior at Farrington High School and is a member of the varsity football team.

"We all are in shock, denial, whatever feelings we may be having inside - it's disturbing, but at the same time we're just concerned for the family," said head coach Randall Okimoto.

Many of Ortiz's teammates and coaches went up to the North Shore and stayed with Ortiz's parents and brother on a nearby beach. At one point the gathered teammates formed a prayer circle.

"I like the fact that a lot of our guys wanted to just go down and support the family," said Okimoto. "It's down on the North Shore, guys needed a ride and so the coaches volunteered to help them out."

Farrington is in the state football playoffs, but that's far from the minds of the team while Ortiz is missing.

"Football takes a back seat," said Okimoto. "The concern is for the family."


Follow Ben Gutierrez:    

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly