New Britain police shot suspect after chase - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

New Britain police shot suspect after chase


Neighbors were ducking for cover, and three schools went into lockdown as bullets flew in New Britain.

At one point on Tuesday, police were dealing with three active scenes. Police said an unidentified suspect started randomly firing a gun on Glen Street. After leading police on a car chase, investigators said the suspect crashed his car on West End Street. The chase that spanned several city blocks ended on Lincoln Street, with police shooting the suspect.

Police said at 8:42 a.m. they received reports that shots were fired in the backlot of the an apartment at 172 Glen St. Police arrived at the scene and immediately identified a suspect in the shooting.

Neighbors said the suspect randomly fired off at least two rounds.

"Some car went up in the driveway and started shooting," said Melissa Cummings, who heard the shots outside of her Glen Street home.

No injuries were reported in that shooting.

At that point, police said the suspect fled the scene but ended up crashing his vehicle on Corbin Avenue and taking off on foot, running through backyards. Police pursued him for several blocks, and eventually, four officers found him at 350 Lincoln St.

"I heard a bang," witness David Palmer said. "I was in the house, heard the bang, came out of the house and saw somebody running up the street somewhere. I saw the guy standing on the side of the road. The car was in the yard."

Police said the suspect was armed, and they ordered him to drop his weapon, but he refused.

"Seemed like he was scared and was trying to run away," Palmer said.

At that point, police said they were forced to shoot the suspect.

"The suspect was armed, and he ignored repeated commands to drop his weapon," said New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell.

During the incident, officials with New Britain Schools said Slade Middle School, Lincoln Elementary School and Vance Village Elementary School were locked down for 45 minutes while police were in the area. An all-clear was given a short time later.

"You get worried about your kids safety," said witness Janet Chmura.

The Northend School was not affected by the lockdown, according to school officials.

"No students or staff were ever in danger," said a spokeswoman for New Britain Public Schools.

The unidentified suspect was brought to a local hospital to be treated for gunshot wounds. His condition is unknown at this time.

Police aren't releasing the suspect's name at this time.

No officers were injured in Tuesday's chase

The incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly