(HawaiiNewsNow) - Japanese taiko drummers will be featured in a project and concert called "Classical and Contemporary Japanese Drumming." The concert will be on Friday, August 23 at the University of Hawaii Orvis Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. The artists from Tokyo are:
- Saburo Mochizuki (professional kabuki musician from Tokyo; 1 of 4 original members of Sukeroku Taiko, one of the most influential taiko groups worldwide)
- Yuu Ishizuka (one of Tokyo's top professional contemporary taiko soloists)
- Akiko Miura (professional shamisen (Japanese lute) player from Tokyo
They will be collaborating with:
- Kenny Endo (professional taiko artist)
- Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble
The concert is presented by the Taiko Arts Center, National Organization for Traditional Artists Exchange and the University of Hawaii Department of Music.
This project is supported in part by the Mayor's Office on Culture and the Arts, Aqua Resorts, the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii and Taiko Arts Center.
For more information click HERE.
Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.