Coroner: Baby dies after falling off bed into trash can - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Coroner: Baby dies after falling off bed into trash can

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

A baby died after falling off a bed and into a trash can during the weekend, according to the Clark County Coroner's Office.

A representative for the agency said investigators were called to a Las Vegas home Saturday morning after one of the parents of 5-month-old Giana Barrios found the child unconscious and not breathing.

Giana was rushed to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead, according to the representative.

The representative said the baby died from positional asphyxia after she fell from a bed and into a trash can near the side of the bed.

Las Vegas Metro police said they have responded to 17 sleep-related baby deaths this year, three of which were in the last week.

"To know that your actions, or inactions or lack of knowledge about keeping your child safe may have contributed to that, has got to be one of the worst feelings that a parent can face," said Denise Tanata-Ashby, Executive Director of Children's Advocacy Alliance.

Tanata-Ashby also formerly served on the Clark County's Child Death Review Team, and said on average each year 21 babies have died from unsafe sleeping environments.

"I've been in Las Vegas for 18 years, and I've seen it over and over again," Tanata-Ashby said.

The dangers come when parents place crib bumpers, pillows, heavy blankets and even stuffed animals inside a crib with the baby.

All are items which could easily suffocate a child.

"The little onesies that zip up, cover their feet and their arms to keep them warm at night, that's the safest way to do it," Tanata-Ashby told FOX5.

LVMPD said the safest way for a baby to sleep is alone, on the back and in a crib.

But following those rules of safe sleeping can be a challenge for many parents.

"Infants are up a lot, parents are very tired, so it's very easy to bring that child into bed with you... the potential danger as a parent falling asleep and accidentally rolling over on their child," Tanata-Ashby said.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.