Electrical cord to blame for North Shore house fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Electrical cord to blame for North Shore house fire

PUPUKEA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Fire Investigators say an electrical cord from a floor lamp is to blame for a fire that gutted a two-story home in Pupukea.

Fire companies were called to the Alapio Road fire at 12:10 a.m. on August 15.  First HFD company arrived at 12:18 a.m.  Firefighters had the fire under control at 12:46 a.m. and extinguished by 8:31 a.m.

Nine people were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injuries prior to the HFD's arrival.

The fire destroyed the two-story, four bedroom Alapio Road home and four vehicles; one pick up truck, two sedans, and one motorcycle.  There was no fire extension or damage done to neighboring homes.

Damage is estimated at $250,000 to the structure, $50,000 to the contents, and $70,000 for the four vehicles.

The Honolulu Fire Department offers the following tips to help prevent electrical fires.

  • Routinely check electrical appliances and wiring.  Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.  Do not try to repair them.
  • Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched by furniture, under rugs and carpets, or across doorways.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only.  Have a qualified electrician determine if additional circuits or wall outlets are needed.

The HFD also recommends that if problems with electrical wiring are detected, repairs should be done by a qualified electrician.  Call an electrician if you have any of the following:

  • Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • Discolored or warm wall outlets or switches
  • A burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance
  • Flickering lights
  • Sparks from a wall outlet
  • Cracked or broken wall outlets

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly