Pearl City fire that displaced 15 caused by candle - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Pearl City fire that displaced 15 caused by candle

Posted: Updated:
PEARL CITY, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

 

[Update 4 p.m. Monday]

Fire investigators say a Pearl City house fire that left 15 homeless was caused by an unattended candle. The fire caused $250,000 in damage. 

[Original story posted below]

15 people have been displaced after a house fire broke out in Pearl City Saturday night off of Lehua Avenue.

According to fire crews, the two-story walk-up caught fire between 10:30 p.m. and midnight. The fire badly damaged the top two units of the building. The two units below also sustained considerable smoke and water damage.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. Fire crews say damage to the building is estimated at $200,000 and $20,000 of damage was done to its contents.

Crews were able to put the fire out within five minutes because the complex is across the street from the Pearl City Fire Department. However, the wooden construction yielded heavy damage.

The Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced.

One of the units was unoccupied. 

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.