NOAA expects below-normal Central Pacific hurricane season - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

NOAA expects below-normal Central Pacific hurricane season

Ray Tanabe Ray Tanabe
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

NOAA's Central Pacific Hurricane Center Wednesday announced that climate conditions point to a below-normal season in the Central Pacific Basin this year.

For 2013, the outlook calls for a 70% chance of a below-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of an above-normal season. We expect 1 to 3 tropical cyclones to affect the central Pacific this season. An average season has 4-5 tropical cyclones, which include tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes.

The outlook for a below-normal season is based upon the continuation of neutral El Niño–Southern Oscillation conditions. The Central Pacific Basin also remains on the low activity side of a multi-decadal cycle. Historical records show that this combination of conditions tends to produce a less active hurricane season for the central Pacific.

This outlook is a general guide to the overall seasonal hurricane activity in the central Pacific and does not predict whether, where, when, or how many of these systems will affect Hawaii. NOAA issued its Central Pacific hurricane outlook at a news conference in Honolulu, and urged Hawaii residents to be fully prepared before the hurricane season, which begins June 1 and runs until November 30th.

"I encourage the public to become weather-ready by signing up for weather alerts, developing a family emergency plan, and building an emergency kit before hurricane season begins," said Ray Tanabe, director of NOAA's Central Pacific Hurricane Center. "Just because the season is predicted to be "below normal" does not mean that a single storm cannot have significant impacts."

Related Link:

Hawaii Weather Now App available on iPhone and Android


Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Top Stories

First summer swell 2013 (SIDEBAR)


SLIDESHOW: First South Swell of 2013 More>>

Powered by Frankly